There are some great videos, documents and other materials that have already come out of our efforts to share the indigenization experience.
Check in here and have a look for items that you can use in moving your institution or community forward.
Resources from the Gathering:
- Michelle Pidgeon
- Perspectives Of Aboriginal Students
- Lorna Williams
- Explanation of the image created for the Gathering (from Jonny Williams explanation).
PDF Documents for each of the break-out sessions.
- Workshop Breakout 1 Group 4 (Students) – Students’ personal reflections on Indigenzing the Academy
- Topics: Cultural Safety, Feeling Comfortable, Decolonization, Indigenization Definitions, Elders, Inclusion, Conformity/Nonconformity, Student Success, Eurocentrism, Tokenism, Isolation, healing, History, Ceremonies, Indigenous Teaching, Funding, Community Involvement, Aboriginal Education, Voice, Aboriginal-Non-Aboriginal Relations[ Download PDF ]
- Workshop Breakout I Group 5 (UFV Caucus) UFV Staff Personal and Institutional Reflections on Indigenizing the AcademyTopics: Challenges, Balancing Curriculum and Programming, Community Involvement, Ceremonial Activities, Decolonization, Programming, Personal and Institutional Engagement, Tokenism, Cross-Cultural Training [ Download PDF]
- Workshop Breakout I Group 6 (Community and Elders) Personal and Institutional Reflections on Indigenizing the AcademyTopics: Language Learning, Indigenous Teaching Methods, Native Holidays [Download PDF ]
- Workshop Breakout I Group 7 (Sr. Administrators) Personal and Institutional Reflections on Indigenizing the AcademyTopics: Indigenization Definitions, Public Policy, Strategic Plans, Elders, Student Recruitment, Hiring, Programming, Adaptation, Representation, Turnover and Stability, Culture and Tradition, Cross-Cultural Training, Community Consultation and Engagement, Ownership of Indigenous Knowledge, Decolonization, Cultural Safety and Security [ Download PDF ]
- Workshop Breakout II Group 1 (Indigenizers) Hiring, Retention, Tenure, & Promotion Topics: Process, Practices, and Policies; Barriers and Hiring Committees, Tokenism, Indigenous Academic Resources, Funding, Language Learning, Cultural Safety, Mentoring [ Download PDF]
- Workshop Breakout II Group 2 (Faculty 1) Hiring, Retention, Tenure, & PromotionTopics: Qualifications, Workload, Community Involvement and Consultation, Student and Faculty Support and Retention, Aboriginal Hiring Strategy and Policy; Institutional Barriers to First Nations Hiring, New Faculty Orientation, Expectations, Evaluations, Departmental Fit, Tokenism, Culturally Relevant Training, Collective Agreements [Download PDF]
- Workshop Breakout II Group 3 (Senior Administrators 1)Hiring, Retention, Tenure, & PromotionTopics: Framework for Indigenization, Programming, Definitions of Indigenization, Strengths, Obstacle to Indigenization, Community Involvement, Elders, Partnerships, Governance, Funding, Social Change, Cultural Safety [ Download PDF]
- Workshop Breakout II Group 6 (Community and Elders) Hiring, Retention, Tenure, & PromotionTopics: Elders in Residence, Student Success and Support, Qualifications, Tokenism, Students’ Background Knowledge of their Culture, Community Consultation, Traditional Knowledge vs Western Knowledge, Language Learning [ Download PDF]
- Governance, Partnerships, and Building Alliances (Senior Administrators)Topics: Funding, Representation, Turnover and Stability, Cross-Cultural Relations and Training, Community Consultation, Elders, Traditional Knowledge, Research Ethics, Decolonization, Cultural Safety, Building Alliances, Diverse Perspectives [ Download PDF]
- Next Steps: Recommendations from the Canadian Federation of Students, National Aboriginal Caucus (Students)Topics: Recommendations for future action, Best Practices for Indigenizing the Academy [Download PDF]
- Guest Speakers Discussions from the Canadian Federation of Students, National Aboriginal Caucus (Dr. Jo-Ann Episkenew, Dr. Lynne Davis, Eber Hampton, Otis Jasper notes and discussions)Topics: Gatekeepers as a disconnect and obstacle to indigenization, Racism, Four R’s of Education, Elders and Instituionalization, Finding a voice, Spirituality, Donfroming, Assimilationg, Colonizing, Decolonizing, Definition of Indigenization, Community—Learning and Sharing Knowledge, Younger generation’s having a foot in both cultures, Responsibility of Youth, Humility as a highly valued quality, Learning First Nations culture and History, Elders, Preparing for the Future, How to Beat the White Man, Next Steps and Recommendations [Download PDF]
- Keynotes and other videos from the Gathering or the Gathering website