ABT instructors Mary Higgins and Christine Nehring recently presented back-to-back at both UFV’s annual PD Day and Vancouver Island University’s (VIU) Teaching and Learning Conference.
UFV FLO Workshop
In keeping with ABT’s focus on digital resilience and technology use, Mary and Christine participated in the first workshop through pre-recorded video built into a Blackboard shell. The workshop was organized by the participants of UFV’s inaugural Facilitating Learning Online (FLO) course as a way of sharing strategies, successes and challenges from that May 2015 experience.
WordPressing the World one Workshop at a Time
Mary and Christine continued their goal of WordPress world domination by conducting a workshop titled “Blogging in WordPress: Strategies for Success” at VIU’s annual Teaching and Learning Conference. Participants were given a whirlwind tour of WordPress (e.g., the Dashboard, Media Library, Categories and Tags) and were introduced to blogging strategies such as using text and images appropriately, and ensuring accessibility. Participants then created, edited, and posted a blog post. (Here are some examples of their work.) Feedback from the session was excellent, with comments such as:
- Resources and hands-on practice at creating a blog post. Thanks! I’m inspired.
- I loved how much you got done – my most productive hour today!
- Loved having the computer to use and do.
- Covered lots; organized; got me off the computer 🙂 . Great session!
- How to create a blog, post it, and edit it.
- Focus on accessibility was great! #thanks
- Much easier to post a blog than I thought; lots of fun; will have to think about doing this with students.
This fall, on top of their regular ABT teaching, Mary and Christine will be running a number of WordPress workshops through UFV’s Continuing Education department. Watch the CE website for the fall brochure.
Image 1: Taken by C. Nehring, used with permission.
Image 2: Screen capture from workshop BB Learn shell. Image created by G. Jang and M. Higgins.