The University of the Fraser Valley was excited to present 40 of our most curious students with research awards totaling over $24,000. These students were nominated by their faculty supervisors for extraordinary research work, either as part of the UFV work study program, as research assistants, or for an outstanding research project as part of a course.
We would like to congratulate all the award winners and especially our remarkable science students!!
Faculty of Science Awards – $1,000
- Aisa Dobie – Biology: Faculty Supervisor, Dr. Nathan Bialas
Aisa is graduating with a BSc , Biology major with distinction. She will be furthering her education by continuing into a Doctorate of Optometry degree at the University of Waterloo in the fall.
- Gurdeepak Sidhu – Mathematics & Statistics: Faculty Supervisor, Dr. David Chu
Gurdeep is a fourth year BSc student with a major in Mathematics, also completing the Data Analysis Certificate.
- Paige Bogaerts – School of Land Use and Environmental Change: Faculty Supervisor, Claire Hay
Paige chose to complete an honours thesis as a capstone of her Bachelor’s degree in Geography.
Community Service Research Award – $200
Land Use and Environmental Change Project “Starling Management in the City of Abbotsford: Descriptive and Exploratory Analysis of Appropriate Technologies, Landscape Analysis, and Perceptions of Residents and Farmers”
Faculty Supervisor: Mariano Mapili and Paul Fontaine | Community Partners: Alison Martens and Magda Lajlee, City of Abbotsford
- Vanessa Brewer
- Claire Cook
- Caitlin Parray
- Andrew Schulz
- Ian Wilson
Indigenous Research Award – $1,000
- Sasha Tuttle – Biology: Faculty Supervisor, Dr. Carin Bondar
Sasha will be graduating from UFV after the fall 2020 semester with a BSc and a major in Biology. She plans to purse her Master’s degree at Simon Fraser University.
Industry Engagement Research Award – $1,000
- Evan Foley – Chemistry: Faculty Supervisor: Dr. Golfam Ghafourifar “The effects of gaseous ammonia environment on industrial and first responder clothing materials”
Industry Partners: NUCOR, Ammonia Safety & Training Institute, Hazmasters, and GHD
Evan is graduating with a BSc in Chemistry and a Professional Communications certificate.
Natural Science and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) Undergraduate Student Research Awards – $4,500
These national awards are meant to stimulate interest in research in the natural sciences and engineering. They allow students to gain valuable research experience that complements their studies by working full-time for a term with a nationally recognized UFV faculty researcher.
- Daylan Pritchard, Biology: Faculty Researcher, Dr. Lucy Lee
- Dilan Praat, Biology: Faculty Researcher, Dr. Gregory Schmaltz
- Anmol Sharma, Chemistry: Faculty Researcher, Dr. Linus Chiang
- Kyla Woelk, Chemistry: Faculty Researcher, Dr. Noham Weinberg
- Vanessa Brewer, School of Land Use and Environmental Change: Faculty Researcher, Dr. Olav Lian
WATCH the video of the video acknowledging our student researchers’ achievements and the faculty who mentor them. Grab a coffee and enjoy 18 minutes of fun!