Worker Bee Honey, the largest beekeeping operation in BC, is setting up an analytical lab to analyze honey samples collected around North America. Currently, a Bruker 400 MHz NMR Food Screener is on site with plans for also setting up quantitative PCR pollen analysis. In addition, collaborations with groups using Raman spectrometry and mass spectrometry for honey analysis will be ongoing. We are seeking a highly-motivated, recent, university graduate to fill a position to support the NMR analysis and assist with the collaborations. Daily tasks will include sample and reagent preparation and administrative requirements. Training will be provided.
Specific Duties and Requirements
- Maintaining daily logs and equipment record books
- Receive and track samples and document sample preparation
- Working knowledge of MS Office (especially Excel) and database systems
- Ensure that all safety guidelines are followed strictly at all times and maintain a clean and orderly environment
- Quality control of incoming raw materials and stock products using ICP instrumentation
- Administrative requirements as necessary
- ISO 17025 (Analytical lab standard) compliance
- instrument operation, maintenance, minor repairs and modifications, providing proper supply of cryogenic liquid, and ensuring appropriate safety practices.
- pipetting and weighing techniques
- able to manage time wisely
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or related field
- Experience with general chemistry glassware, lab supplies and liquid handling
- Basic mathematics and familiarity with general chemistry calculations
- Computer skills requiring Microsoft Word, Excel
- Good verbal and written communication skills to interact with all levels of personnel, both internal and external to the organization. Must read, write, speak, and understand the English language
- Self-motivated individual who possess the ability to analyze, organize, plan, prioritize assignments, multi-task and achieve results through process focused production
This position can be part-time or full-time. Initially it is expected that sample prep and analysis will occupy about 1 day per week with the remaining time occupied by administrative tasks. Hours are flexible.
PLEASE EMAIL CV TO: email@example.com
Peter Awram, PhD
Worker Bee Honey Company
10609 McGrath Road