Students, staff, and faculty are all encouraged to join us on September 18th, 12:00 – 1:30pm to discuss SustainableUFV’s projects, initiatives and goals for the 2018/2019 year. An opportunity to get involved in projects and events, to provide comments on past initiatives, and to develop future project ideas. Abbotsford Campus, B121.
Welcome Back Events
SustainableUFV members have continuously had a presence at new student orientation, resource fairs, and events. The primary focus has been on providing tips on how to reduce waste, and how to dispose of waste in the most sustainable manner. Having a SustainableUFV presence at these events has increased event planners’ attention to sustainability components. Increasingly, events are reducing their reliance on single-use water bottles, promoting the use of re-useable bottles and mugs, and reducing waste. This September we’ll be at the following events:
- Health Science Welcome Back BBQ (September 7th)
- U-Join Abbotsford (September 11th), CEP (September 13th)
- School of Business Welcome Back BBQ (September 12th)
- Faculty of Science – Science Social (September 27th)
If you’d like to be at the SustainableUFV booth engaging students and staff on Sustainability topics, send us an email
The results from previous waste audits continue to lead the facilities department to different projects that tackle waste. This summer we have focused on:
- Paper towel composting: Placards are being installed in every paper towel dispenser to remind users that paper towel is super low quality and can be composted. Its poor quality paper that it is impossible to recycle!
- Waste stations mobilizing: carts are being purchased so Janitorial staff supply extra stations where needed.
- Mobile waste stations in the right place at the right time: when you are booking a room for an event, you are prompted to identify whether there will be food present. If yes, a work request is sent to Janitorial to deliver a waste station to the event. This will further promote responsible allocation of waste and diverting waste from the landfill.
24 hours of waste from 2 buildings (ABB A & B) is weighed and separated, and weighed again to determine how much material is being sent to the landfill, recycling centres, and composting facilities. Volunteers are always needed, and while it’s not glamorous, there is no other event with more influence on sustainability than the Waste Audit.
Smoke Free Campus
“UFV is committed to improving the health and well-being of our community and leading the stewardship of our environment. Providing clean air for everyone who studies, works, and lives on campus is the goal of Smoke-free UFV.” Resources can be found here: https://ufv.ca/smoke-free/
If you have any questions, comments, suggestions or just want to get involved! Email us, or swing by B150 to chat.