Let’s Talk Science is a national charitable organization committed to inspiring and empowering Canadian youth to develop the skills they need to participate and thrive in an ever-changing world. To accomplish this, Let’s Talk Science offers a comprehensive suite of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) based programs and training to support youth, educators and volunteers across Canada. For more information about Let’s Talk Science, visit: www.letstalkscience.ca.
We have a vacant coordinator position with Let’s Talk Science Outreach at the University of the Fraser Valley that needs to be filled. This is an opportunity to become more involved with the management, planning and event development side of the program. The current closing date for applications to the position is March 28. Below is some information about the coordinator position:
Join a national network of enthusiastic undergraduate and graduate students working together to make a difference in the science literacy of young Canadians! A coordinator position is highly rewarding and comes with many benefits.
As a Let’s Talk Science Outreach Site Coordinator you will recruit, support, and manage volunteers and educators. The job involves maintaining strong communication with educators, volunteers, other Site Coordinators across Canada, Let’s Talk Science National Office and local program supporters. As a Site Coordinator you are also well supported by the Let’s Talk Science National Office.
- Recruit and train new site volunteers and any additional coordinators hired
- Recruit educators
- Partner volunteers and educators where appropriate
- Support Let’s Talk Science site volunteers by helping to plan activities, organizing activity supplies, and making travel arrangements
- Plan and organize trips to rural and remote communities
- Maintain up-to-date, complete records of activities carried out and evaluations received on the Let’s Talk Science portal
- Track finances and maintain an up-to-date budget on the Let’s Talk Science portal
- Acquire additional funding from within the university and local community as needed
- Compile and write stewardship reports to local and national funders
- Maintain regular contact with the Manager of Let’s Talk Science Outreach, Regional Coordinator and others at the National Office
- Attend at least one fully funded Let’s Talk Science conference each year
- Be registered in a science, technology, engineering or mathematics related discipline
- Enthusiasm and a passion for science outreach and education
- Self-starter, with the ability to work and carry out agreed upon objectives
- Past experience as a Let’s Talk Science Outreach volunteer is an asset
- Project management experience is an asset
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- High level of computer literacy, experience with: Internet applications and Microsoft Office Suite
- Develop business, leadership and communication skills applicable to any field or career choice
- Gain fundraising and budgetary skills transferable to everything from everyday life, to small business entrepreneurship, to grant fund management for the future professor
- Work in a positive work environment filled with generous and passionate people
- Tremendous autonomy to pursue new goals for Let’s Talk Science Outreach at UFV
- Paid travel to Let’s Talk Science conferences & rural communities
- Earn a coordinator stipend
This position works closely with the local site/faculty advisor, as well as the Regional Coordinator of the Let’s Talk Science Outreach Program.
TO APPLY: Please forward your cover letter and resume to Nathan Kostiuk at firstname.lastname@example.org before March 28th.