Presidential search committee welcomes feedback on draft candidate profile

The search committee for UFV’s new President & Vice Chancellor invites your comments on the draft candidate profile, online here.

Everyone is welcome to provide feedback – students, staff, faculty, alumni and community members. Comments will be open until 9 am, Monday, May 9th. Please send your feedback to Maureen.Murphy@ufv.ca, or use the comment box below to share your comments publicly.

Information collected will be reviewed by search committee members at their next meeting as they finalize the document for this national search.

For ongoing updates, please continue to visit blogs.ufv.ca/presidential-search

10 Responses to Presidential search committee welcomes feedback on draft candidate profile

1. Connie Cyrull May 2, 2016 at 10:00 am #

I don’t agree that the candidate can have an “equivalent” to a PhD.
    That should be a requirement!

2. Rhonda Schuller May 2, 2016 at 10:32 am #

I believe I understand the thinking behind most of the draft descriptions.
    I would like to see a few amendments. Under Leadership I don’t believe UFV needs someone tp “bring{ing} people together to focus on the vision and strategy”. I feel UFV lacks vision, and I see strategy as a plan to achieve a vision; thus, I believe UFV needs a leader who can bring/create a vision for UFV and collaboratively develop a strategy to achieve that vision.
    I would also like to see an amendment under Human Resources. The current wording sees a “successful track record of working collaboratively with unionized faculty and staff” as an assett. I believe evidence of a proven track record is required.

3. Mary-Anne MacDougall May 3, 2016 at 8:49 am #

I agree with Connie, a PhD should be a requirement. I don’t know what one would consider as an “equivalent” to a PhD….

• Prof Dan Orcherton October 2, 2016 at 1:11 pm #

I agree. This position needs to reflect both academic experience, administrative and visionary oversight as a strong leader ! PhD as a requirement +20 + years in similar roles or responsibilities. Publicatations and leadership is vital as well

4. Marcella May 3, 2016 at 10:55 am #

This particular call could have been written for any university and I would like to see it have at least a brief mention of some of the unique characteristics that are important to us (as per ILO, Strategic Plan, etc). There are several place where a mention of such things as response to the Truth and Reconciliation recommendations, indigenization, internationalization, HIPs, etc. could be mentioned without be wordy. For example under any of the sections: related experience, visionary leader, external relations and strategic.

“Sees the big picture in which an organization functions. Innovative, open to new ideas and a progressive thinker with regards to education and learning” such as in meeting the calls to action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

This is just one quick example but I think it is important in the call to stand out with what is important to us.

5. Yvon Dandurand May 3, 2016 at 4:42 pm #

I agree that the candidate should have successful senior leadership and administrative experience. However, I am not sure that this experience needs to have been “gained as a Dean, Vice President, or President in a well-respected post-secondary institution”. There are many examples of successful university presidents with distinguished academic backgrounds who have essentially acquired the requisite leadership experience in a non-academic context. There is nothing to be gained by thus restricting the search.

6. Yvon Dandurand May 3, 2016 at 4:44 pm #

On the Ph.D. question, a MA in Law is often considered equivalent to a Ph.D.
    Allan Rock was a very successful President of a major Canadian University (University of Ottawa), without a Ph.D.

• Prof Dan Orcherton October 2, 2016 at 1:12 pm #

MA in Law equivalent to PhD ? Where did you come up with that ?

7. Elizabeth Dow May 6, 2016 at 5:09 pm #

I believe that it would be beneficial for the new President to have a PhD as we are not as well established as a university with a much longer and established history. Also, as we are only moving slowing from a “college” to a “university”, (based on many external factors as well as internal ones) so this may have more symbolic significance regarding perception of UFV. I would like to see a comment that makes it explicit that we seek someone with demonstrated principled leadership and integrity.

8. Ron May 8, 2016 at 8:58 pm #

There is no mention here of sessional instructors. Will the new President & Vice Chancellor care about us at all?
    Progressive and innovative ideas around education tend to be focused on saving money rather than improving actual education. This has lead to notable disasters at a number of universities. What kind of “innovation” is UFV interested in?