UFV CLOSING all locations at 1 pm, Jan 18, 2012

10:30 a.m. UPDATE: Due to deteriorating weather conditions, UFV is CLOSING all of its Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Mission locations at 1 p.m. today. All classes with start times of 11:30 a.m. or later are cancelled. Hope centre remains closed.

All offices and classrooms must be vacated so buildings can be secured and safely closed. Gathering locations will be available for individuals who are unable to leave the campuses as follows:

• Abbotsford Campus – Alumni Hall (Building A) and Road Runner (Building B)
  • Chilliwack North Campus – Building A outside the library – the old cafeteria space
  • TTC Chilliwack Campus – Cafeteria.

For more information about our procedures, visit our severe weather page.

16 Responses to UFV CLOSING all locations at 1 pm, Jan 18, 2012

1. Student January 18, 2012 at 7:50 am #

Hwy 1 between Abbotsford and Chilliwack is too dangerous to travel right now. Consider closing Chilliwack too. blowing snow is causing whiteout conditions.

• Bailey January 18, 2012 at 8:04 am #

Close Chilliwack. Many people having to turn around due to unsafe weather conditions on the freeway.

2. Student January 18, 2012 at 8:07 am #

Roads are terrible all over from Maple Ridge to Hope. Campus”s should be closed due to icy, dangerous conditions.

3. Student January 18, 2012 at 8:08 am #

• Garrett January 18, 2012 at 8:14 am #

Just got caught in a whiteout. Drifts all over the place and people in the ditch

4. Garrett January 18, 2012 at 8:16 am #

Roads are too icy and sudden white outs leave the driver with nothing to see. I turned around after I couldn”t see the road.

5. Marg January 18, 2012 at 8:37 am #

The wind and cold are making the roads insaine. Please consider closing the campuses. The arctic wind is suppose to continue for several hours into the morning.

6. Student January 18, 2012 at 9:20 am #

I”ve just attempted to go from Whatcom to UFV and had to turn around.

7. Anne January 18, 2012 at 9:46 am #

The roads are terrible coming from hwy 1 abbotsford to chilliwack. You cant see anything while driving when snow blows. Consider closing the campus

8. Parent January 18, 2012 at 9:54 am #

Chilliwack & Abbotsford campuses should be closed for the safty of the students that feel they have to be in class if the school is opened.
    Highway between Chilliwack & Abbotsford is solid whiteout.

9. Bob January 18, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Abbotsford shold be closed. It is too dangerous that drive on the freeway.

10. Student January 18, 2012 at 11:09 am #

I woke up at 7:00 this morning to check if the campuses were closed and my power was out. It didn”t come back on until 11:00 and then I found out the campus was open but there was no way for me to make it to my class on time.
    I do not think the schools should be open. The wind and blowing snow is worse weather than we have had all week.

11. Chris January 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm #

UFV”s handling of the situation this week has been for the most part a complete joke. First of all on Monday the announcement is made that all campuses are open, then the decision to close is made at 8:10 AM after everyone has started arriving on campus! Then today the decision is made to open, against all common sense and good judgment, and then the decision is made to close once people have taken the risk of going out in this weather. Who knows how many accidents have been caused by UFV”s boneheaded decisions? Get it together, and make the right decision, in a timely matter. I”m very annoyed.

12. Student January 18, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

UFV please consider the chances of car accidents tomorrow (Thursday). I am terrible at driving in these weather conditions and I”m sure I”m not the only student who feels the same. I already crashed my car into a drift once today and I really don”t want to do it again.

13. Another Student January 18, 2012 at 10:52 pm #

I suppose every 3 to 4 out of 5 days of school should be canceled in any other province than BC hey? Since, you know, they get snow anywhere from November all the way thru to April in some places. I wonder how they graduate out there, if school is canceled every time there is snow? They much be at school 16 hours a day when they go, hey?

C”mon people, it”s snow. Deal with it. Drive slower and leave earlier. Don”t be an idiot and suddenly jam on the brakes – you”re going to slide, and your car is going to get out of control.

In BC… Wait, check that. In the LOWER MAINLAND, we freak out at the sight of snow! Leave earlier, give more room from you to the driver in front of you, and again, DON”T jam on the brakes, it”s the worst thing you can do under slippery conditions! Oh yeah, don”t speed, that might be a start too.

• Student3 January 18, 2012 at 11:09 pm #

I just have to say to “another student”, the reason why it is hard to deal with snow here is that we aren”t used to these kind of conditions. Not everybody has snow tires etc whereas in other areas which are used to these conditions would be well prepared. I, for one, could not get my car more than two blocks, it literally wouldn”t move. Wasn”t a matter of allowing enough time and driving slowly etc, my car would not allow it. Some areas are like that here and you cannot get through without preparing your vehicle. Just something to think about.