Substance Use Counsellor
Agassiz Harrison Community Services Society
We are seeking a qualified Substance Use Counsellor. If you have the qualifications listed below then this position will be of interest to you.
• Master’s degree preferred, BSW or BA in a related field.
• A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in addictions treatment.
• Sound knowledge in current Best Practices in the treatment of substance abuse.
• Demonstrated skills in the area of individual and group counselling.
The Substance Use Counsellor provides early intervention, treatment and support services for individuals and their families affected by drug and alcohol dependency and misuse. This position requires an understanding and knowledge of substance use issues such as: chemical dependency and behavior, barriers to recovery, harm reduction and substance affect.
Skills in case management, case planning, and implementation of substance use programs are required. Effective delivery includes: orientation, screening/intake, required assessments, treatment planning and implementation, case consultation, clinical counselling, case management, referral, program evaluation and follow up services. It includes facilitation of psycho-educational, therapeutic groups, and prevention planning for the community to promote public awareness of alcohol and other drugs.
The counsellor will help to establish and maintain wellness and balance through effective addiction treatment interventions. As the qualified Substance Use Counsellor at AHCS you will be required to:
• Assist clients and substance affected family members with concern and empathy; valuing respect of others.
• Demonstrate strong morals and ethics, respecting commitment to confidentiality and privacy.
• Deliver sound knowledge of various therapeutic addiction counselling theories and practices.
• Effectively and pleasantly work with a wide range of people of different ages and cultures.
• Be skilled in crisis intervention, anger diffusion, conflict intervention and resolution and effectively use chemical dependency diagnostic tools.
• Record case notes and produce client-related documentation such as reports according to accepted practices and policies.
Agassiz-Harrison Community Services
7086 Cheam Avenue, Box 564, Agassiz, BC, V0M 1A0 Phone: 604-796-2585 – Fax: 604-796-2517 – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; www.agassiz-harrisoncs.ca
• Provide both insight and practically focused counselling while maintaining a safe group environment.
• Plan and implement relevant group programming according to the outline of the AHCS Substance Use Outpatient Policies and Procedures.
• Act as a positive role model for participants and assist in developing healthy lifestyles.
• Attend monthly Regional Addiction Committee (RAC) meetings.
• Complete statistics for the Fraser Health Authority (FHA).
• Participate in organizational planning and staff meetings.
• Interact professionally with clients, family members, staff, visitors and government agencies.
• Deliver high degree of resourcefulness and adaptability.
• Communicate competently both verbally and in writing.
• Maintain all required documentation and data entry in a timely manner.
• Current Police Information Check (PIC) with vulnerable populations enhancement.
• Valid Class 5 driver’s license.
• Reliable vehicle as occasional travel is required.
• Competent computer skills – Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel.
Date of Job Posting: May 4, 2020
Closing Date: When position has been filled
Hourly Pay Rate: $27.50 per hour with benefits after 3 months
Probation Period: 6 months
Hours of Work: 30 hours per week – some flexibility with days of work
Please submit a detailed resume along with a cover letter. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.