|Position||Coordinator, Practicum and Internship|
|Department||School of Social Work and Human Services, Faculty of Professional Studies|
|Contract type||Staff, 100% full-time, Permanent|
|Start date||As soon as possible after closing date|
|Salary scale||$4,701.90 – $5,529.35 per month (Staff pay group 9)|
|Closing date||May 31, 2019|
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV) is nationally recognized for its emphasis on teaching excellence, experiential and applied education, community engagement, and Indigenization. UFV is the school of choice for over 15,000 students. With six campuses and centres, UFV offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, and professional studies, as well as trades and technology education, university preparation, and continuing education.
At UFV, we are dedicated to changing lives and building community. Our educational goals are to prioritize learning everywhere; be flexible and responsive; collaborate across boundaries; develop local and global citizenship; and integrate experiential learning. A British Columbia “Top Employer”, we are committed to providing a welcoming, inclusive and dynamic learning and working environment that is fair and respectful of everyone. Our culturally diverse employee and student populations reflect the local, national, international and Indigenous communities we serve. If you see yourself as a lifelong member of a community that values and nurtures innovation and creativity, cultivates leadership and citizenship, and where success builds on success, you belong at UFV.
Under the general supervision of the Director, School of Social Work & Human Services, the Coordinator, Practicum and Internship, supports the School of Social Work and Human Services’ Human Services programs with the facilitation of experiential learning within the certificate and diplomas in the School. The role of the coordinator is to support faculty and students with the implementation of all practicum placements and internship opportunities, local and global. The coordinator`s responsibilities involve the following tasks:
- Develop community partnerships with the goal of identifying placement opportunities for students in response to faculty, student, discipline, program, and community goals and needs
- Work with faculty and administration to secure external funding for internship and practicum experiences and, if successful, oversee the funds and satisfy expectations established by the external funder
- Liaise with International Education, Legal Services, and others related to practicum/internship facilitation
- Ensure appropriate agreements (Affiliation Agreements, Memoranda of Understanding) are in place with all partners
- Liaise with the UFV Experiential Learning Coordinator on networking and community opportunities
- Attend community meetings and participate in community committees with the focus on creating new placements
- Act as the central point of contact for Human Services students regarding practicum, connecting them with the appropriate community resource
- Evaluate any potential practicum placement – visit the site, look at safety issues, evaluate what students will be doing, and ensure this aligns with students’ goals
- Prepare students for placement by organizing pre-placement orientation and delivering in conjunction with faculty and community partners
- Develop and maintain a practicum internship database for Human Services, in conjunction with the committee’s assistant
- Develop infrastructure and efficient process guide
- Assess applicant portfolios to ensure students are qualified and successful in their placement
- Advertise practicum and internship opportunities for students and hold information sessions
- Setup orientation meetings to explain practicum process and outline the roles and responsibilities for practicum students
- Initiate criminal record checks in conjunction with the Field Education Assistant
- Connect with practicum site supervisors and faculty members
- Respond to any issues that may arise during the initial practicum placement process
- Completion of a Bachelor of Social Work (B.S.W.) degree from an accredited institution
- Eligibility for Registration with the BC College of Social Workers
- Additional training in counselling, career preparation, and leadership
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in a related field, such as post-secondary education or career placement services
- Experience with student or client mentorship
- Demonstrated understanding of Human Services curriculum, including social work
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter: excellent writing, editing, proofreading, and oral communication skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively, exhibiting respect for all colleagues in a team environment
- Demonstrated commitment to service and community engagement
- Proven success in developing and maintaining positive working relationships with internal and external partners
- Practicum placement experience or experience supervising practicum students in the workplace
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, including successful experience in project management
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities, meet deadlines, stay current, and adapt to change
- Demonstrated professionalism and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Highly resourceful with a demonstrated ability to take initiative and be creative
- Strong qualitative research skills
- Strong knowledge, skills, and understanding of current trends in digital media/social media/web design, preferred
- Experience with international travel, work, or partnerships preferred
- Completion of practicum or internship as part of an educational program
- Relevant experience in office management, organizing, and managing records
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Professional (Access, Word, Excel, and Outlook) is required
How to apply
Direct resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications by May 31, 2019, referring to Posting #2019.111 to:
Shortlisted applicants may be required to undergo a criminal record check. Shortlisted applicants will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
- We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- In order to be environmentally and fiscally responsible, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- Short-listed candidates may undergo a criminal record check and/or a verification of their education credentials, as required.
- Shortlisted applicants for staff positions will be required to provide copies of their most recent evaluation summary.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.