Reporting to the Program Manager, the Senior Support Worker is responsible for the day-to-day work of supporting the Program Manager with onboarding new staff, preparing staff schedules and assisting with filling shifts, crisis prevention, intervention & conflict resolution, and working with co-workers to maintain the safety and security of the building. Additionally, the successful candidate will have experience in crisis prevention, intervention and conflict resolution, will assist women with moving in and movie out, has strong communication skills to work with co-workers to maintain a safe and secure building, and liaise with sister and like organizations in effort to support women. The Senior Support Worker will be responsible for championing active listening/one-to-one support, accompaniments and advocacy, helping women keep their rooms/units clean, assisting women with moving in and movie out, preparing and delivering food, and assisting with medication and health care, including the administration of naloxone.
|Type:||Internal & External – Full-Time (Indeterminate)|
|Hours of Work:||Avg. 36 hours per week; Afternoons (Monday through Friday; 3:30 p.m. to Midnight
with every second Friday free from work)
|Compensation:||$22.20 – $25.39/hr., plus a generous leave, benefits and pension package|
|Program & Location:||Sereena’s Housing for Women – Downtown Eastside, Vancouver|
|Deadline:||By noon on Monday, January 21st, 2019|
You are a feminist, passionate about the work of ending violence against women and children. You embrace Atira’s mission, vision, values and philosophy. You have a well-developed understanding of and commitment to anti-oppression work and intersectionality. You are familiar with colonialism especially as it applies in Canada and you understand the impact of the residential school system. You are committed to working with women who are struggling with substance use and or mental wellness and understand and are comfortable working within a harm reduction environment. You support women who choose abstinence, but understand abstinence is just one option for women struggling with substance use. Your definition of woman includes transgender, two spirit and intersex women and individuals whose gender expression is femme. You are sex worker positive. You have significant experience as a front-line support worker working with women affected by violence/abuse, combined with relevant education and or skill-based training. Lived experience is an asset, as is living in the community in which you work. Atira strives to hire staff who reflect the women we serve.
You Also Have:
- Proven initiative, judgment, decision-making and problem- solving capabilities
- Demonstrated ability to take action in a crisis management environment
- Proven ability to develop and maintain rapport with women, children, your co-workers and other stakeholders
- Ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines in a dynamic environment
- Proven willingness to roll up your sleeves and support women in the ways they ask/need
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to give & receive constructive criticism
- Ability to provide non-judgmental support & learn from experience
- Minimum two (2) years front-line support work experience required; preference given to candidates with lived experience
- A valid First Aid Certificate is required
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certificate is an asset
- Food Safe Certificate is an asset
- All positions are subject to a criminal records review
You question actions inconsistent with our values and you treat everyone with fairness and respect independent of their status or disagreement with you. You expect great things from yourself and your co-workers. You inspire others with your passion for women’s anti-violence work and your eagerness for excellence. You contribute to an environment where women can flourish and grow and you seek what is best for women, rather than what’s best for you or your team. You challenge the status quo to improve quality and sustainability and you take smart risks and make tough decisions without agonizing.
The Competition Number must be quoted in the ‘Subject Line’ of the email to be considered. Please submit expressions of interest, including an updated Cover Letter and Resume describing how you meet or exceed the above-noted qualifications, received by email at firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date noted above. Resumes without a Cover Letter will not be considered. Candidates who lack the basic experience and qualifications set out in the posting will not be considered. Please go to atira.bc.ca/careers for a current list of postings.