IMMIGRANT SERVICES SOCIETY OF B.C.
Job Competition #: 2017-MAP-01
Position: Outreach Settlement Worker – Arabic-Speaking Preferred
Moving Ahead Program – Maple Ridge and Cottonwood Locations
Full-time position at 35 hours per week starting immediately.
Reporting to the Manager – MAP, the Outreach Settlement Worker is responsible for facilitating service
interventions in first language to support the transition of vulnerable immigrant and refugee populations in their adaptation to Canadian society.
Responsibilities include: Assessing client needs to develop an individualized settlement plan which outlines a strategy to achieve settlement success; monitoring settlement plan; providing orientation services to ensure basic awareness of Canada, BC, and the local community (such as housing, health, transportation, education, and rights and responsibilities); referring clients to appropriate community resources; assisting client in making appointments and completing forms.
– Diploma in Social Sciences, counseling or a related discipline acceptable to the employer supplemented by a minimum of one (1) to (2) years of experience in a client-oriented position, preferable in an immigrant settlement services related field OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience acceptable to the employer.
– Current knowledge of legislation, services and information affecting immigrant and refugees including issues facing newcomers.
– Fluency in Arabic preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
– Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral English at all levels of the organization.
– Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and courteously with clientele, staff and the public from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
– Demonstrated ability to manage time and resources effectively.
– Demonstrated experience in developing and facilitating groups.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
– Ability to set and maintain boundaries with clients and manage self-care.
– Possession of and the ability to maintain a clear provincial criminal record check.
– Ability to carry out the duties of the position.
Applications must include “2017-MAP-01” in the subject line and can be sent to: email@example.com
Closing Date: By 4 pm, Thursday, January 12, 2017
Salary Range: $20.05 – $21.91 per hour (based on training and qualifications)
ISSofBC offers to eligible staff an outstanding medical and employer-matched RRSP benefits.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants; however, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.