Job Description – Mental Health Coordinator
Chiron Health Services Inc.
Reporting directly to the Health Care Manager (HCM) with clinical input from the centre psychologist, the Mental Health Coodinator coordinates the services and special programs delivered to all clients with mental health needs (IMHN), as required. The MHC will also provide day to day administrative and clinical supervision to the Mental Health Screeners and Addiction Counsellors.
- The delivery of mental health services in accordance with the Health Services Manual and in accordance with BC Corrections policies, procedures and guidelines
- Responsible for the recruitment, hiring, and administrative supervision of the mental health screeners and addiction counsellors in consultation with the center psychologist.
- Consult with centre psychologist regarding clinical practices when appropriate.
- Coordinating the assessment, treatment, referral and case management for clients with the mental health programs and centre staff; all interactions with clients documented in PAC and/or Cornet
- Delivering programs as appropriate and in consultation with the centre psychologist and Chiron Health Services Inc.
- Assisting in the organization and transfer of IMHNs to the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital in Port Coquitlam.
- Coordinating client information and distributing it appropriately to all groups involved in the care of IMHNs.
- Liaise with personnel from mental health community agencies and hospitals to maintain continuity of care while housed in the facility.
- Coordinate the release plans for IMHNs.
- Provide special programming for IMHNs that are housed in the centre’s mental health unit.
- Monitor and assess all clients identified and/or placed on frequent monitoring for suicidal ideation, self-harm, depression, and other mental health conditions that require additional monitoring; assessments documented in PAC according to the frequent monitoring policy.
- Sharing all urgent and pertinent information concerning the safety of clients and correctional staff with the centre Warden or designate, and Health Care Manager immediately.
- Advances evidence-based best practices at every opportunity through the sharing of knowledge with his/her peers.
- Attends committee meetings as required; participates in approved professional development activities
- Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR a Registered Nurse with psychiatric experience, OR possess a post graduate degree in a related field.
- Must be a registered member in good standing with the appropriate British Columbia College or Association.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with institutionalized clients.
- Supervisory skills and/or experience.
- Computer proficiency.
- Demonstrated good communication skills; both oral and written.
- Proven ability to collaborate with others.
- Ability to interact effectively with staff and others at all organizational levels both internally and externally.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Obtain and maintain security clearance from the Assistant Deputy Ministry in order to provide or continue providing services or duties.