Date: Sept. 14/16
Service Area: Senior Services
Program: Seniors Connect Program
Position: Seniors Support Worker
Organization: Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows Community Services
Nature of Position:
The Seniors Support Worker is a community-based role providing short-term one-on-one support for older adults who are frail, isolated/marginalized, and at risk and may be “hard to serve” and hard to reach.
The individual will assist clients with navigating the health care system and connecting them with local service agencies, in order for them to access mental and physical health assessments, substance misuse counselling, advocacy and legal services, home support services, and other community services as needed.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of a volunteer peer support component to the program including recruitment, training and oversight of volunteers.
The incumbent will be responsible for promotion and evaluation of the program, establishing a referral system, working closely with partners and community agencies, maintaining client records, written documentation and providing reports to the supervisor.
- Provide short-term one-on-one outreach in the community to connect vulnerable seniors with services, and collaborating with other service providers.
- Work with seniors with emerging and mild-to-moderate mental health challenges and/or problematic substance use;
- Build relationships with clients and act as their advocate when needed;
- Work closely with community partners and agencies, and the Seniors Outreach Advisory Group;
- Promote and evaluate the success of the program;
- Collaborate with the seniors planning table to offer public education workshops on topics such as: dementia, caregiver supports, elder abuse;
Qualifications (knowledge, education, skills, experience):
- A Bachelors Degree in a related human/social service field and a minimum of one year related experience working with vulnerable seniors experiencing mild-to-moderate mental health challenges and/or problematic substance misuse., and a minimum of one year related experience with volunteer coordination.
- Valid First Aid and CPR;
- Approved Criminal Record Check;
- Possession of a valid BC drivers license and use of personal vehicle, business insurance and three million liability;
- Use of personal vehicle.
- The ideal candidate is a strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in general advocacy
- Ability to make effective referrals, and have an in-depth knowledge of community, government and financial resources for seniors and strong collaborative skills
- Must possess excellent written/verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Experience and knowledge of accreditation (COA) and familiarity with Client Administrative Management Database (CAMS) are preferred.
In your cover letter please indicate where you heard about this job posting.
Then successful applicant will be informed and accepting of cultural diversity, and have the ability to work and support all people with dignity and respect. This position is open to male and female applicants.
This position requires Union membership.
Shift/Schedule/Hours per week: 25 to 30 hours/week (flexible schedule)
Expected Start Date: asap
Wage/Salary: starting at $19.03/hour
Application Deadline: Sept. 21/16
Grid Level: 12
Submit Applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org