Community Outreach Worker
Facility: Alouette Addictions Services Society
#201 22477 Lougheed Hwy
Maple Ridge, BC V2X 2T8
Classification: 1.0 FTE (Excluded)
Hours/Shifts: 37.5 hours/ week
Must be available Days, Evenings & Weekends
Reports to: Executive Director
Posting Date: May 12, 2016
Closing Date: May 26, 2016
The Outreach Worker is a community-based role providing support to individuals who are homeless or at risk of homelessness to access appropriate community supports, including access to income support and housing.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Build relationships with clients and act as their advocate when needed
- Connect clients with community services including, but not limited to, housing searches, mental health services, food bank, job search, income assistance, PWD completion, and more
- Build partnerships with fellow service providers including, but not limited to, RCMP, Fire, MCFD, Mental Health, RMH, Caring Place, Rain City, Alouette Heights, and more
- Build relationships and professional service agreements with landlords, home owners, and supported living services
- Complete weekly database updated of the BC Housing database
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Ensure all client information is kept confidential and that client files are up to date and complete
- Promote harm reduction model of care
- Assist in training or providing direction to volunteers, staff and practicum students;
- Collaborate and liaise with other professionals and community service organizations as needed;
- Attend work related in-services and staff meetings as required;
- Receive and screen referrals from various sources;
- Monitor and maintain program budget, ensuring spending falls within approved levels;
- BA or Diploma in Mental Health or Human/Social Services, or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Valid First Aid and CPR;
- Approved Criminal Record Check;
- Possession of a valid BC class V drivers license and use of a personal vehicle during working hours;
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to assess, plan, organize, implement, evaluate and problem-solve.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with clients, families, staff and community agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize workload in a complex environment.
- Ability to educate and provide consultation to clients, families and healthcare professionals.
- Ability to make effective referrals, reflecting in-depth knowledge of community resources and strong collaborative skills in working with community health.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers, including related word processing and database management software applications.
- The ability to create trusting relationships with homeless, or at risk of homelessness people, in order to help them gain access to the individual supports they need to improve their lives;
- Experience in general advocacy including applying for MSD benefits and landlord negotiations;
- Ability to work as part of a team, maintaining honest, direct and respectful working relationships, as well as being able to work independently
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
To apply: Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. We would like to thank everyone that applies, but only those short-listed will be contacted.