Student Email FAQ

Why is the old email system being replaced?

The existing email system is at end of life and is experiencing reliability issues for which no support is available.

What happens to my email in the old system after April 30th?

All email in the old system will be permanently deleted after April 30th, 2013 and will not be recoverable. Any email in the old system you want to keep must be retrieved before then.

I have auto-forwarding setup, will this be automatically configured in the new system?

No. Settings in the old email system will not automatically be set in the new system. The following Knowledge base article provides step-by-step instructions on how to configure auto-forwarding:

Can I auto-forward email received in the new system somewhere else?

Yes. The following Knowledge base article provides step-by-step instructions on how to do this:

Can I use a 3rd party mail client to get UFV email?

Yes. The following Knowledge base article provides step-by-step instructions on how to POP your email using a 3rd party mail client:

How do I get help with the new email system?

Help for the Zimbra email client is available by clicking on the down arrow on the top, right of the screen beside your login name. For general assistance the new email system, you can contact the IT Services Help Desk at: 604.864.4610 or helpdesk.its@ufv.ca

Can I use my iphone, ipad or android to access email?

Yes! The Zimbra email client works with many different types of browsers, including the more common versions such as IE, Firefox, Safari, etc. Open the following link using the browser on your smart device: https://myMail.ufv.ca

How do I access the new email system?

Both the old email system and the new email system will be available to you through MyUFV. Log into MyUFV and look on the right hand side of the page for the email links. You can also access your new email directly by going to https://myMail.ufv.ca

10 Responses to Student Email FAQ

1. Irmi Teichrob January 13, 2013 at 9:59 pm #

As it stands, I cannot access my UFV email with any certainty. Regularly I am getting messages that my session has timed out, simply in the process of entering my user name and password (which for some reason needs to be done 2 times.) I hate internet issues and NEED access to my UFV email for my course. Feb. 3 is still a long ways away. Please fix the problem asap. I am wasting precious studying time. My instructor communicates with the class between sessions on a regular basis.

2. Robyn Harcott January 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm #

Hi Irmi – I’m sorry you are having trouble with your student email. I would recommend that you forward your student email to your external email if you are having trouble. The instructions to forward your existing email to your external email can be found here:
    http://ehelpdesk.ufv.ca/ehd/kb/kbView.glml?kbId=45 – I hope this will resolve the issues you are having now.

3. Nathalia February 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm #

Hello!
    I have many important emails in my old email, how can I access the old one to send these messages to the new email?

Thanks.. ;)

• Kerry Friesen February 4, 2013 at 8:19 am #

Hi Nathalia,

You can retrieve all your old email into the new student email system. The following knowledge base article provides step-by-step instructions: http://ehelpdesk.ufv.ca/ehd/kb/kbView.glml?kbId=112

We hope you enjoy the new system!

4. Nathan Todd February 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm #

How do you import your contacts into the new system?

• Kerry Friesen February 5, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Hi Nathan,

You can import contacts into the new system using comma separated value (CSV) files. When you are logged into the email system select “Product Help” from the drop-down menu located next to your name (top-right area of the window). Search for “Importing an Address Book” and you will find step-by-step instructions.

5. Noah February 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm #

I like the new system but i STILL can not set up the UFV email on my Mail app of my phone, it’s annoying.

6. Aaditya Arora February 6, 2013 at 11:27 am #

Hey can you guide me that how can i change my PIN for the new mail

thanks

• Kerry Friesen February 7, 2013 at 11:04 am #

Hi Aaditya,

You don’t need to change your PIN for the new email system. It is synchronized to your myUFV password. Please note that if you change your myUFV password it may take around 5 minutes for the new email system to receive the change.